Full Pot Bags
Single Serve Cups
8/10 oz. Bags
5 lb Bags
|Recipes » Dessert|
Dark Chocolate Espresso Cake with Salted Dulce de Leche Buttercream
By: Amy - Avon Park, FL - Recipe Contest 2015
This recipe was originally written for my son (11 yrs old), who also bakes and enters cakes in our local 4-H youth fair. He wanted a cake recipe that "no one else would have." I wrote it; he baked it, won a top 10 best of show, and had the opportunity to auction it to the highest bidder.
This is a user-submitted recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Cafe.
Featured ingredient: Espresso 10 oz. Bag Fine Grind
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/8 cups Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon Elite Espresso (fine grind - do not brew)
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups strong hot coffee
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 15 fluid ounces dulce de leche
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 tablespoon meringue powder
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 pounds powdered sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together sugar, flour, cocoa, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and espresso powder.
- In a small bowl, combine eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and blend on high for 2 minutes.
- Whisk or stir in coffee.
- Pour batter into 3 greased & floured 9" cake pans.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing cakes and cooling completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter, 3/4 cup dulce de leche, shortening, salt, and vanilla, blend until smooth.
- Add meringue powder and 1/2 bag of powdered sugar, blend on low until completely incorporated.
- Add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time until completely blended, add milk as needed.
- Turn mixer to high and whip frosting for 4-5 minutes.
- With a cake leveler or serated knife, remove domed top of each cake. Spread frosting evenly between the layers and over entire cake as a crumb coat.
- Refrigerate until set.
- Use remaining frosting to cover and decorate cake.
- Microwave remaining dulce de leche and drizzle over cake.
- Decorate with additional chopped dark chocolate.
Call Us Live 8:00 - 5:00 M-F CST
Email Newsletter Sign-up
Email Newsletter Sign-up
Door County Coffee & Tea Co.
PO Box 638 - 5773 Hwy 42 - Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin 54235
Toll Free: (800) 856-6613 - Cafe 920-743-8930
Copyright © 2016 Door County Coffee