By: Barbara - Royal Oak, MI - Recipe Contest 2015
Nothing like a hot cup of coffee or a hot bowl of chili on a cold evening. What could be better than combining them!
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured ingredient: Black Velvet Coffee 8 oz. Bag Ground
1 cup dry red beans
1 cup extra-strong brewed Door County Coffee Black Velvet coffee, divided (to brew strong coffee, use half the water you normally would use)
1 pound ground chuck
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1-1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground Ancho Chili Pepper
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans Mexican (or Italian) stewed tomatoes
1 - 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- Cover the beans with 3/4 cup brewed Black Velvet coffee and soak overnight.
- In a deep soup pot, brown the ground beef with the onions and garlic.
- Add the spices, tomatoes, tomato sauce and remaining 1/4 cup Black Velvet coffee.
- Bring to a boil, stir and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the drained beans and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 1 hour or until beans are tender.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Serves with sour cream and Monterey Jack cheese.
Email Newsletter Sign-up
Door County Coffee & Tea Co.
PO Box 638 - 5773 Hwy 42 - Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin 54235
Toll Free: (800) 856-6613 - Cafe 920-743-8930
Copyright © 2016 Door County Coffee