Cherry Creme Black Forest Cake
By: Jamie - Rio Hondo, TX - Recipe Contest 2015
I came up with this recipe after seeing the Cherry Creme coffee on the door county website. I had a dear friend having a birthday who loves coffee and black forest cake. I used Cherry Creme coffee to make my recipe for mocha layer cake and layered it with Cherry pie filling and frosted it with whipped cream. It was such a hit that I was asked to make it for another party that same week. I hope you love it as much as my friends!
This is a fan-submitted recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Cafe.
Featured ingredient: Cherry Creme Coffee 10 oz. Bag Ground
- 2 1/4 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 1/2 tsps Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup Butter, softened
- 3 Eggs
- 1 cup Strong Cherry Creme Coffee (I made strong coffee by adding 6 Tbsps of Cherry Creme coffee to my 4 cup French Press)
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 quart Jar Cherry Pie Filling
- 3 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Confectioners' Sugar
- 1 tsp Meringue Powder (optional) Meringue powder is used to help stabilize whipped cream but, not necessary for a beautiful outcome
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Grease and Flour two 9 inch round cake pans.
3. In a medium bowl whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda & salt, set aside.
4. In a large bowl, cream together butter & 2 cups of sugar.
5. Add eggs, Coffee, Sour Cream and 1 Tbsp of Vanilla and mix.
6. Add dry ingredients and mix until just blended.
7. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
8. Pour into prepared pans.
9. Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes our clean.
10. Cool layers in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from cake pans and cool completely on racks.
11. Combine whipping cream, 1 tsp Vanilla, 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar & 1 Tbsp meringue powder (if using) in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on high until stiff peaks form.
- Split each Cake in half horizontally.
- Place one cake layer on cake plate and frost with whipped cream.
- Top with second layer and cover with 1/2 pie filling.
- Top with Third layer of cake and frost with whipped cream.
- Top with fourth layer of cake and frost sides with Whipped cream.
- Cover top with final 1/2 of pie filling.
- Use leftover whipped cream in a decorating bag fitted with a star tip to decorate top and bottom edge.