Bacon Jam - Cheese and Crackers Please!
By: Darlene - Peoria, AZ - Recipe Contest 2015
"There’s nothing better than sitting down with a hot cup of Door County Coffee and a plate of cheese crackers with a sweet, spicy, salty, coffee infused bacon jam. These cracker delights will melt in your mouth with the earthy flavor of parmesan cheese and the hearty flavors of a coffee and cocoa outer layer. Top the crackers with bacon jam and you’ll probably need another cup of hot delicious Door County Coffee."
This is a fan-submitted recipe. It was not made in the kitchen of the Door County Coffee Cafe.
Featured ingredient: Breakfast Blend Coffee 10 oz. Bag Ground
- 12oz bacon chopped into 1 inch pieces
- ½ cup onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- ¾ cup brewed Door County Coffee Breakfast Blend coffee
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 or 2 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce mashed
- 2 tablespoons brandy (optional)
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 tablespoon ground Door County Breakfast Blend Coffee
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Cook bacon in a large saucepan, over medium heat, until almost crispy.
- Remove bacon from pan and pour off bacon grease allowing 2 tablespoons to remain in pan.
- Add onions and sauté over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook a minute longer.
- Add vinegar to deglaze pan and add cBreakfast Blend coffee, brown sugar, maple syrup, chilies, brandy and bacon.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until jam thickens and has a syrupy consistency.
- Place mixture in food processor and process to remove any large chunks but allow jam to remain somewhat chunky.
- Mix butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks one at a time until well combined.
- Add flour and then cheese.
- On a lightly floured surface, place mixture and form into a 6 to 8 inch log.
- Combine egg white and water and brush outside of log, on all sides with mixture.
- Grind Breakfast Blend coffee in a food processor or coffee grinder until coffee is the consistency of powder.
- In a small, shallow bowl combine coffee, cocoa and sugar.
- Roll cheese log in mixture until all sides are coated.
- Wrap cheese log in plastic wrap and refrigerate 2 hours.
- Cut chilled log into 1/3 inch slices and bake on parchment lined baking sheet at 325° for 18 to 20 minutes. Top will be lightly browned.
- Allow to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes and the transfer to a cooling rack.
- Serve crackers with bacon jam.