|Recipes » Spring & Summer Recipes|
Lemon Shortbread Cookie Whole Wheat Bread
By: Peter Sherrill - Forestville, Wisconsin - 2020
"This earthy loaf is loaded with whole-grain goodness, and the aroma of Lemon Shortbread Cookie coffee. It’s a nutritious breakfast bread, but would make a satisfying sandwich at lunchtime as well!"
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured ingredient: Lemon Shortbread Cookie Coffee 8 oz. Ground
- ½ cup freshly-brewed Door County Coffee “Lemon Shortbread Cookie” coffee
- ½ cup Bulgur wheat (cracked wheat can also be used)
- Pour hot coffee over the Bulgur or cracked wheat. Cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, combine Bulgur/coffee mix with:
- ½ cup Greek low-fat yogurt
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 cup bread flour
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp molasses
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 package (or 2 ½ tsp) rapid-rise yeast
- ¼ tsp diastatic malt powder
By Hand or Stand Mixer:
In a Bread Machine:
- Set the machine on “dough” cycle. When the cycle is complete, proceed to the “Second Rise” instructions below
By Hand or Stand Mixer:
- Put the ingredients in a large bowl and mix for three to five minutes, until the dough is smooth and slightly sticky. You may need to add a bit of flour or water to get the right texture (surface should be smooth, but will stick a bit to your fingertip).
- Knead on a floured surface about 5 minutes, until smooth and elastic.
- Return to the bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place about 30 minutes, until doubled. If you press two fingers into the risen dough and it leaves a dent tht doesn’t spring back, the dough is ready for the “Second Rise” step.
- Turn the risen dough out onto a lightly-floured board and punch down.
- Knead for a minute or so, folding and turning the dough into a loaf shape.
- Place the dough in a 5-by-9-inch bread pan that’s been coated with cooking spray. Cover again, and let rise another 40 minutes or so, until the loaf is about ½ inch above the top of the pan.
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Uncover bread pan and bake for 30 – 40 minutes to an internal temperature of 200º, or until the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
- Cool on a wire rack – and wait until the loaf is completely cooled before slicing (otherwise, the bread can tear instead of cutting smoothly).