|Recipes » Spring & Summer Recipes|
Baked Blueberry Coffee Cristo
By: Teresa C. - Stephenville, TX - 2017 Recipe Contest Submission
"The Monte Cristo is a special and beloved sandwich, and this blueberry-based baked version that incorporates coffee at key points elevates it even more by infusing new layers of flavor throughout."
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured ingredient: Blueberry Cobbler Coffee 8 oz. Ground
- 1 cup double strength brewed Door County Blueberry Cobbler Coffee, divided
- 1/3 cup blueberry jam or preserves, divided
- 8 slices cinnamon swirl bread
- 6 ounces fresh blueberries, divided
- 8 slices thin-sliced smoked ham
- 8 slices Gouda cheese
- 8 slices thin-sliced smoked turkey
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
1. Preheat an oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray with cooking spray.
2.Spread 1 teaspoon of the blueberry jam on each of 4 slices of bread. Top the jam with half the blueberries divided evenly among the bread slices. On top of the blueberries layer 2 slices of ham, 1 slice of Gouda, 2 slices of turkey, and 1 more slice of Gouda. Top with the remaining bread slices. Gently press the sandwiches together.
3. In a shallow dish, whisk together the eggs, flour, butter, salt, and two-thirds of the coffee. Whisk until smooth. Dip both sides of each sandwich into the egg mixture, letting each side soak for a few seconds. Place the sandwiches on the prepared baking sheet.
4. Bake the sandwiches 16 to 20 minutes, turning them over halfway through baking when the bottoms have browned. Continue baking until the second side is golden brown.
5. While the sandwiches are baking, place the remaining blueberry preserves, blueberries, and coffee in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Simmer until the blueberries have cooked and the mixture has thickened, about 10 minutes.
6. When the sandwiches are done, remove them from the oven and dust them with the powdered sugar. Serve with the coffee blueberry sauce.