|Recipes » Soups|
Verde Coffee Chili
By: Dino - Wood Dale, IL - Recipe Contest 2015
The combination of coffee and heat (chili and jalapeno powder) makes this chili drool-worthy. It's my favorite Sunday-sit back-and-cook-while-the-game-is-on type meal. Never shared it before. Thanks!
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
- 2 lbs. pork loin cut into small cubes
- 1½ cups chopped white onion
- 3½ cups chopped and peeled green chiles
- ½ cup roasted and pureed green chiles
- 2 cups of brewed Door County Cofee Black Velvet coffee
- 2 14.5 oz. cans chicken broth
- ½ cup salsa verde (made with tomatillos)
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 3 Tbsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 oz. can whole green chiles pureed (or puree ½ cup peeled roasted green chiles)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp jalapeno powder
- 2 Tbsp Tabasco Green Pepper Sauce (if desired to taste)
- ½ tsp salt
1. Brown the pork, add onion and 1 can chicken broth.
2. Add salsa verde and green chiles.
3. Simmer for 1 hour.
4. Add brewed Black Velvet and 1 remaining can of chicken broth as needed to keep meat covered.
5. Simmer for 1 hour.
6. Add Spice Mix #1.
7. Simmer for 1 hour.
8. Add pureed green chilis and Spice Mix #2.
9. Cook for 1 more hour, adjusting thickness with Black Velvet Coffee and chicken broth.
10. With 10 minutes remaining, add Tabasco Green Pepper Sauce for heat and salt to taste.