|Recipes » Soups|
Baked French Onion Soup
By: Kevin – Wild Rose, WI - 2nd Place Winner
“Nana Krueger handed down this recipe to me 37 years ago, when at the age of 13 I ate my bowl and the rest of the pot and there wasn’t any left for Grandpa when he got home. She said I better learn how to cook....quick!”
This is a user-submitted recipe. It was also tested in the kitchen of the Door County Coffee Cafe.
Featured ingredient: Black and Tan Coffee 10 oz. Bag Ground
• 3 Qt. water
• 4 medium onions peeled and thinly sliced
• 2 Tbsp. beef paste
• 2 C. of "BLACK and TAN" brewed coffee, cold
• 1/2 C. Worcestershire
• 1 tsp. chopped garlic
• 1 tsp. celery salt
• 2 bay leaves
• 4 oz. Dill Havarti cheese
• Marbled Rye Croutons
1. Combine all ingredients, except cheese and croutons, in a large pot.
2. Bring to a boil for 10 min with the lid off.
3. Let simmer for 2 hours with the lid on.
4. Remove and discard bay leaves.
5. Ladle into oven safe crock bowls 2/3 of the way full.
6. Add croutons.
7. Top with dill havarti.
8. Finish under broiler 2-3 min.