|Recipes » Side Dishes|
Colombian Coffee Meatball Appetizers
By: Nancy H. - Las Vegas, NV - 2017 Recipe Contest Submission
"I like Door County Colombian brewed coffee for recipes that need an extra pumped up flavor. This meatball appetizer recipe is perfect for that brand of coffee."
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured ingredient: Colombian Coffee 10 oz. Bag Ground
- 3/4 cups brewed Door County Colombian Coffee, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground Door County Colombian Coffee
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cups finely crushed tortilla chips
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1-2 Chipotle peppers in Adobo Sauce, minced
- 2 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 cup red onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons honey
1. Crush tortilla chips in a high speed blender
2. In large bowl, mix ground beef, egg, crushed tortilla chips, salt, cinnamon, ground coffee, powdered cocoa, and half of minced garlic, and 1/4 cup brewed coffee. Then blend ingredients with hands and form 3/4 inch meat balls.
3. In blender at low speed, blend crushed tomatoes and minced Chipotle peppers until smooth
4. In a 5 quart Dutch oven, heat canola oil on medium heat, add onion, remaining minced garlic, cook 4- 5 minutes.
5. Stir in cumin, tomatoes with Chipotle peppers, broth, honey and 1/2 cup remaining brewed coffee
6. Heat mixture to a boil over high heat and add meatballs
7. Reduce heat to low and cook meatballs and sauce for 30 to 4 minutes
8. Place mixture in a large chafing dish, sprinkle over cilantro, and serve appetizers with cocktail toothpicks
Makes 20 Servings