|Recipes » Side Dishes|
Caramelized Coffee-Onion Cheese Purses
By: Candy - Makawao, HI - 2014 Recipe Contest Submission
The many flavors of this savory recipe complement one another very well. With Door County Coffee Sumatra as a key ingredient, these purses are a must try for any coffee lover!
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Cafe.
Featured ingredient: Sumatra Coffee 10 oz. Bag Ground
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 large yellow onions (12 ounces each), peeled and sliced 1/4" thick
- 1/2 cup hot brewed Door County Coffee Sumatra
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened,
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted - divided,
- 1 (8-ounce) can refrigerated crescent roll dough,
- 3/4 cup dry Italian style bread crumbs,
Prepare Coffee-Onion filling first:
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking.
2. Add onions and saute, stirring often, until onions have golden brown color, about 15-20 minutes.
3. Stir in coffee, sugar and salt.
4. Lower heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has been absorbed, about 5-10 minutes.
5. Set aside and allow to cool to room temperature.
To make Purses: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. In a medium mixing bowl, blend cream cheese and 2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine until smooth.
2. Separate crescent roll dough into 4 rectangles and firmly press perforations to seal.
3. Spread 1/4 of cream cheese/butter mix on each rectangle.
4. Place 1/4 of coffee-onion mix in center of each rectangle.
5. Pull four corners of dough to top center and pinch to seal top and edges.
6. Brush top of each with remaining 1 tablespoon butter or margarine and dip tops in bread crumbs.
7. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake until golden brown, 20-25 minutes.
8. Serve hot or warm.