|Recipes » Dinner|
Slow Cooker Beans With Coffee and Apples
By: Nancy H. - Las Vegas, NV - 2017 Recipe Contest Submission
"This recipe is a family traditional baked bean recipe that is popular with friends, requested for pot lucks, picnics, 4th of July, and camping. My twist to my original recipe is adding the Door County Caramel Apple Coffee and taco seasoning mix, for a great flavor!"
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured ingredient: Caramel Apple Coffee 8 oz. Ground
- 12 ounces brewed Door County Caramel Apple Coffee
- 1 pound pinto beans, soaked for 8 hours or overnight, drained, rinsed
- 1/2 pound hickory smoked bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 medium Jalapenos, seeded, minced
- 1 20 ounce can Apple Pie Filling
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix
- 1 cup Hickory BBQ sauce
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1. Drain soaked beans and rinse.
2. In large skillet, cook chopped bacon pieces over medium high heat until semi-crisp; set aside.
3. Drain off bacon grease, saving 1 tablespoon.
4. Stir into skillet the onions, garlic, jalapenos in bacon grease for 2- minutes.
5. Stir in Apple Pie Filling, brown sugar, taco seasoning mix and bacon, stirring for 1 minute.
6. Pour all ingredients into a 4-6 quart slow cooker.
7. Add beans, BBQ sauce, brewed Apple Cobbler coffee, chicken broth and cilantro.
8. Cover, cook over low heat for 8 hours. (If liquid cooks out too fast, add more chicken broth).
9. Serve with extra cilantro sprinkled over top.
10. Serves 6-8, excellent served with grilled burgers or chicken.