|Recipes » Dinner|
Holy Mole (pronounced Ho-lee Mo-lee)
By: Kellie - Salem, WI - 2016 Recipe Contest
"This recipe is made over a relaxing day with lots of love and hopefully family. The aroma really fills the house! The play between coffee, chocolate and chiles is hard to describe. They really lift each other to a new level bringing depth, earthiness and a rounder, richer sauce.
Mole is excellent over turkey and chicken or enchiladas making the Enchiladas Especial or 'special enchiladas.'"
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Cafe.
Featured ingredient: Colombian Coffee 10 oz. Bag Ground
- ¾ C sesame seeds
- 1 C lard or vegetable oil
- 11 pasilla chiles
- 11 mulato chiles
- 5 ancho chiles
- 6 C Door County 100% Colombian Coffee brewed
- ¾ C almonds
- 1 small bulb garlic, skin removed in whole cloves
- 1 C raisins
- 1 28 oz can peeled tomatoes
- ¼ tsp cloves
- ½ tsp anise seed
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 small corn tortillas toasted
- 2 small flour tortillas toasted
- 2 oz 70% Cacao Chocolate chopped (Mexican or Columbian)
- 8 C turkey or chicken stock
- Salt to taste 2-4 TBS
- Sugar to taste ~ ¼-1/3 C
- Toast sesame seeds dry in a large stock pot or Dutch style oven, Set aside. Cut a slit down each pepper to lay flat scraping out stems and seeds.
- Add oil to pot, heat and quickly fry chiles in sets of 3-5 for about 30 seconds total draining off excess oil as you go. Submerge chiles in a bowl as they come out, cover in hot coffee (about 6 C) and let steep for 30 minutes.
- Next fry almonds and garlic cloves for 4-5 minutes adding raisins in the remaining 30 seconds, remove with a slotted spoon to a medium sized bowl.
- Add tomatoes to the bowl breaking up with your fingers as you go, include juice.
- In a coffee grinder or spice mill grind cloves, anise, pepper, add to tomato mixture.
- Add ½ C of the sesame and all of the cinnamon add to the tomato mixture. Tear up tortillas and add to the tomato mixture along with the chocolate. Add enough of the stock to blend tomato mixture in a couple batches ~2 C reserving the remaining stock.
- Strain tomato mixture and add back to the stock pot. Divide soaked chiles into batches and puree, again straining to remove pulp.
- Add chiles to stock pot. Simmer for 30 minutes until thickened, Add remaining stock to pot. Simmer for a couple hours. Add salt and sugar to taste. Garnish w/ sesame seeds (optional)