|Recipes » Dinner|
Blackberry Coffee Monte Cristo Sandwiches with Maple Bacon Jam
By: Chera L. - Austin, TX - 2017 Recipe Contest Submission
"I was inspired to create this recipe by my late husband, Gary. He and I loved sitting on the back porch with a fresh cup Door County Coffee in the mornings while eating something sweet. So I can't think of a better memory, than to create a great sweet and savory treat that he would love with the flavor of Door Country Coffee in each layer of flavor! I hope you enjoy it!"
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Cafe.
Featured ingredient: Blackberry Shortcake Coffee 8 oz. Ground
- 12 slices thick cut peppered bacon
- 1/2 cup jarred blackberry jam
- 3/4 cup fresh blackberries, roughly chopped (reserve 1/2 cup for plating)
- 1 teaspoon brewed Door County Maple Coffee, (plus 1/4 cup for the batter)
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 8 slices naan bread
- 8 - 1 ounce slices Monterrey jack cheese
- 8 - 1 ounce slices black forest ham
- 1 jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 cup tap water
- 1/4 cup brewed Door County Maple Coffee
- 1 tablespoon ground Door County Blackberry Shortcake Coffee
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 - 1 cup frying oil (peanut and vegetable blend)
1. Cook the bacon according to package directions, remove to paper towels to drain. Once cooled, crumble it up.
2. Stir together the jam, blackberries, coffee, salt and crumbled bacon. Set aside.
3. Lay out 4 slices of the naan bread.
4. Spread a thin layer of the jam to each slice and then add a slice of cheese, two pieces of ham, a thin layer of jalapeno and cilantro, the other cheese slice and then top with the additional 4 slices of naan bread.
5. Whisk egg, water and brewed coffee.
6. Add in the ground coffee, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Then place in a shallow bowl.
7. Heat oil to 365. Coat one sandwich at a time in the batter and then fry in the heated oil until golden brown on each side. Repeat the process until all sandwiches are fried.
8. Remove the sandwich from the oil and drain on paper towels, blotting to remove excess oil.
9. Plate the sandwich with any leftover jam, jalapeno and cilantro as the garnish.