Full Pot Bags
Single Serve Cups
8/10 oz. Bags
5 lb Bags
Cocoa & Chai
Full-Pot Bag Gifts
Subscribe & Save
|Recipes » Dinner|
Big Island Coffee Shrimp Skewers
By: Teresa - Stephenville, TX - 2016 Recipe Contest
"I live in Texas, where coffee-rubbed cowboy steak is a way of life. So I thought I would experiment to see if I could do justice to this idea with seafood instead. The result is delicious, and has become one of my husband's and my favorite recipes."
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Cafe.
Featured ingredient: Hawaiian Hazelnut Coffee 10 oz. Bag Ground
- 3 tablespoons Door County Hawaiian Hazelnut Coffee grounds
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse-ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails intact
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups fresh pineapple chunks
- 1 red onion, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup pineapple preserves
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Additional vegetable oil for grilling
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
- In a small bowl, mix together the coffee grounds, garlic, brown sugar, salt, and black pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss the shrimp in the vegetable oil. Add the coffee rub. Stir to coat the shrimp completely.
- Alternate the shrimp, pineapple chunks, and onion chunks on metal or soaked wooden skewers. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Combine the pineapple preserves, lime juice, water, ginger, salt, and cayenne in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil, then simmer over medium heat until syrupy, about 8 minutes. Divide the sauce in half in two separate bowls.
- Preheat a gas grill to medium-high heat. Brush the grill grates with vegetable oil. Grill the shrimp skewers on medium-high 2-3 minutes on each side or until shrimp is fully cooked. Immediately after turning them, brush the cooked side generously with the sauce from one bowl.
- Remove the cooked skewers from the grill. Brush the remaining side with the reserved sauce. Sprinkle with the chopped cilantro.
- Serve the finished skewers with lime wedges.