|Recipes » Dessert|
Orange Creme Coffee Cake with Espresso Mousse Filling and Orange Espresso Praline Topping
By: Darlene B. - Peoria, AZ - 2017 Recipe Contest Submission
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured ingredient: Orange Creme Coffee 8 oz. Ground
- ½ cup strong brewed Door County Orange Creme coffee, cooled
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Zest of 2 large oranges
- 2 tablespoons strong brewed Door County Orange Creme Coffee
- ¼ teaspoon finely ground Door County Orange Creme Coffee
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup strong brewed Door County Orange Creme Coffee
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a large bowl, combine butter and sugar with an electric mixer and beat until light and fluffy. Gradually add egg yolks one at a time. Add orange zest and coffee.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and soda. Add dry ingredients to the batter alternating with the yogurt, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Beat until smooth. Then stir in pecans.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold this mixture into the cake batter. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 50-60 minutes. Cool cake for 10 minutes. Invert onto serving platter.
- Combine coffee and finely ground coffee beans in a small dish. (*Place coffee beans in a coffee grinder until coffee is the consistency of powdered sugar or as fine as your grinder will allow). Stir and allow mixture to set for 10 minutes.
- Whip cream with a mixer until stiff peaks form gradually adding sugar. Add vanilla. Gently fold coffee mixture into whipped cream. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, combine orange juice, coffee, butter, brown sugar and honey. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 4-5 minutes or until sauce starts to reduce.
- Add pecans and coconut and continue to simmer an additional 1-2 minutes or until mixture becomes somewhat thick but stir pourable.
- Cut cake horizontally down the center. Spread with ½ of the mousse on the bottom layer of the cake allowing mousse to just come to the edge of the cake. Place top of cake, cut side down on top of mousse.
- Spoon ½ of praline filling over top of cake allowing the filling to drizzle down the sides.
- Serve with remaining mousse filling and praline sauce.