|Recipes » Dessert|
Mocha Orange Biscotti
By: Alana – Kleinberg, ON – 2014 Recipe Contest Submission
“Being of Italian origin, my mom who is my cooking coach has taught me how to make these cookies that we have enjoyed since I was little. They are rustic looking, but also look so dark and rich with the added cocoa and coffee. Biscotti in Italian means twice baked. These are a show stopper cookie. When I decided to add more flavorings to this cookie with your flavored coffee and a drizzle of white chocolate, they really stood out and had a great flavor. They last a long time because they have been baked again. They can be frozen and are a large recipe. Italians do everything big!”
This is a user-submitted recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured ingredient: Autumn Spice Coffee 8 oz. Bag Ground
- 3/4 C. sugar
- 1/2 C. unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 3 Lg. eggs
- ½ C. Door County Coffee Autumn Spice
- ¼ C. canola oil
- 3 C. flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 C. dark chocolate covered orange peel or dark chocolate chips
- 30 oz. white chocolate
- 1 Tbsp. butter or shortening
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, oil, vanilla, sugar, cocoa, salt and coffee until completely incorporated.
- Sprinkle flour and baking powder over wet mixture and stir with a spatula until almost combined.
- Mix in dark chocolate covered orange bits and continue stirring until no white shows.
- On a floured counter knead dough to adhere ingredients together thoroughly. Cut in half and roll each piece into a log approx. 2 1/2"wide - 12" long. Try to get the log as smooth as possible.
- Carefully lift and place on parchment lined baking sheet. Using your hands reshape the roll and press on top gently to flatten dough. Brush off any excess flour.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degrees oven for 30-35 minutes until firm and dry to the touch.
- Remove and cool for 5 min. Turn oven off.
- Place each log on a cutting board, and using a serrated knife cut diagonal 3/4" slices.
- Return them to the baking sheet right side up with a bit of space between them, and leave in the turned off oven for 30 min to dry and harden.
- Melt the chocolate & shortening in a microwave for 1 minute. Stir to melt. If it needs more time, place it back in and microwave for 30 second increments.
- Drizzle over cooled cookies.
- Allow to dry at room temperature.