|Recipes » Dessert|
Mocha Meringue Pie
By: Michele K. - Columbus, OH - 2017 Recipe Contest Submission
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured ingredient: Chocolate Caramel Truffle Coffee 10 oz. Bag Ground
- 1/2 cup strong brewed Chocolate Caramel Truffle Door County Coffee, cooled
- 1 1/2 cups (about 28) finely crushed square shortbread cookies (such as Lorna Doones)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed chocolate milk (such as Eagle Brand)
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tarter
- 4 tablespoons sugar
1. Heat oven to 400°F.
2. Place crushed cookies and melted butter in a bowl and stir well with a fork until crumbs are evenly coated. Press the crumbs into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate and set aside.
3. Separate the eggs and put the yolks into a medium size bowl and the whites into a small glass or metal bowl.
4. Use an electric mixer to beat the yolks until pale and creamy, and then add the sweetened condensed chocolate milk and continue beating until combined. Gradually add in the cooled coffee and continue beating until thoroughly combined and slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Pour the mixture into the prepared pie crust and bake at 400°F for 20-25 minutes or until set.
5. While the pie is baking, beat egg whites and cream of tarter with clean beaters until foamy. Gradually add sugar and continue beating until the egg whites are stiff. Spread the meringue over the warm pie filling all the way to the edges. Return to the oven and continue baking until the meringue browns, about 5-7 minutes. Cool on the countertop, and then chill for an additional 2 hours in the refrigerator before serving.
Yield: 8-10 servings
*Note: If you are unable to find prepared sweetened condensed chocolate milk, you can make it yourself. Just stir 2 ounces of melted, unsweetened chocolate into a 14-ounce can of regular sweetened condensed milk.