|Recipes » Dessert|
Highlander Grogg Trifle
By: Kathleen - Burlington, WI - Recipe Contest 2015
I concocted this recipe for The Wisconsin Highland Games. My Scottie Terrier Hamish Macbeth and I participated in the Celtic Canine Exhibit.
This past Chistmas I sent packages of Highlander Grogg Coffee to my Scottie friends scattered across the states. We get together every May at The Door County Scottie Rally in Baileys Harbor. Just a little taste of Door County Friendship to tide us over to our next Rally.
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured ingredient: Highlander Grogg Coffee Full-Pot Bag
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup strong brewed Door County Coffee Highlander Grogg coffee
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 ( 30z.) instant butterscotch pudding mix
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1 pint heavy cream- whipped
- Additional 1 pint heavy cream -whipped
- 1 cup Bits of Brickle or almonds etc.
1. Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
2. Add eggs, coffee, buttermilk, oil and vanilla.
3. Beat at medium speed for 2 mins., * batter will be thin.
4. Pour into 2 greased 9 in. cake pans.
5. Bake at 350° for about 30-35 mins. or until done.
6. Let cake cool.
7. Cut cake into 2 inch pieces.
• Butterscotch Cream:
Mix ingredients stir until well blended
• First layer:
Cover just bottom of large glass bowl or trifle bowl with butterscotch cream
• Second layer:
Cake cubes to cover first layer
• Third Layer:
Continue above layers in same order.
End with whipped topping and sprinkle with 1 cup Bits of Brickle topping or any desired topping
*I use Door County Coffee and Tea. Highlander Grogg 1.5 oz bag. and just make the 1 cup coffee double strength. ( 2 heaping Tbsps coffee to 1 cup water)