Single Serve Cups
8/10 oz. Bags
5 lb Bags
Gifts Under $25
Single Serve Coffee Gifts
Full-Pot Bag Gifts
Subscribe & Save
|Recipes » Dessert|
Hazelnut Coffee Cake with Hazelnut Syrup
By: Barbara - Royal Oak, MI - Recipe Contest 2015
Who doesn't like a delicious warm piece of coffee cake any time of day?
With it's hazelnut flavor and hint of cocoa and orange, it really hits those taste buds!
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café
Featured ingredient: Hazelnut Creme Coffee 10 oz. Bag Ground
- 1-1/2 Cups Strong brewed Door County Coffee Hazelnut Creme coffee (to brew strong coffee, use 1/2 the water you normally would use)
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2/3 Cup Canola Oil
- 1/2 Cup Honey
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup finely chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup strong brewed Door County Hazelnut Creme Coffee
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted for garnish (if desired)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Grease and lightly flour a 10-inch fluted tube pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together coffee, sugar, oil, honey, vinegar and vanilla. Add eggs and whisk until combined.
- In another large bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Whisk in Hazelnut Creme coffee mixture until combined.
- Add the 1 cup hazelnuts and orange zest, stir to combine.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven about 1 hour or until a tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 20 minutes.
- Remove from pan to serving platter.
- Brush with some of the Hazelnut Coffee Syrup.
- Cool for 30 minutes.
- Brush again with syrup
- Sprinkle with 1/4 cup hazelnuts
- Serve cake warm with remaining syrup.
- Combine all the the syrup ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Reduce heat to medium and boil gently stirring occasionally for 25 to 30 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly and is reduced to about 1-1/3 cups.