Full Pot Bags
Single Serve Cups
8/10 oz. Bags
5 lb Bags
Cocoa & Chai
Full-Pot Bag Gifts
Subscribe & Save
|Recipes » Dessert|
Chocolate Liquor Cake
By: Julie - Fremont, CA - 2016 Recipe Contest
"This recipe can be used for any occasion, from formal to picnics and it is a big crowd pleaser."
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Cafe.
Featured ingredient: Intense Dark Coffee 10 oz. Bag Wholebean
- 5 oz. dark chocolate
- 2 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup Dutch-Process cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup Door County Coffee Intense Dark, brewed, cooled slightly
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup Chocolate Liquor
- 16 oz. bittersweet chocolate
- 16 oz. (2 cups) heavy cream
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and line the bottom of 2 eight inch pans with parchment paper.
- In a heat-proof bowl, microwave the chocolate on high power in 20-second intervals until melted; stir between intervals. Let cool slightly.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder and baking soda in a bowl; set aside. In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, coffee, chocolate liquor and vanilla; set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, sugar and salt at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time until fully incorporated. Turn mixer speed to low, in 3 alternating batches beat in the dry ingredients and the wet mixture, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Fold in chocolate.
- Pour in batter into prepared pans and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out free of wet batter. Let the cake cool in pan for 20 minutes. Remove and transfer to wire rack.
- Using a wooden skewer, poke holes in the cakes and brush the chocolate liquor all over the cake halves.
- In a saucepan, heat cream to a simmer.
- In a heat proof bowl, pour the heated cream over the chocolate and let stand for 1 minute.
- Cool mixture down until you can mix it into a frosting
- Transfer cake layer to a serving plate on a cake stand and frost the top of layer.
- Place the second layer on top and spread the ganache frosting on top and sides.