|Recipes » Dessert|
Cherry Cordial Coffee Cupcakes
By: Linda - Englewood, FL - 2016 Recipe Contest
"When I think about Door County, Wisconsin, it reminds me of Coffee, Cherry Trees, and Cheese. It was my inspiration for this recipe. The center of these cupcakes have a sweet cherry cordial surrounded by the cheddar coffee taste of a firm cupcake, mixed with ground chocolate covered espresso beans. The frosting is infused with strong espresso coffee. Cupcake is topped with a sweet drizzle of cherry jam and a chocolate espresso bean, for added punch. This cupcake is the perfect balance to help celebrate, this time of year...'the blooming of the Cherry Trees.'"
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Cafe.
- 4 ozs butter, soft
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/3 cherry syrup
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 TBS vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 TBS chocolate covered coffee beans, ground, plus 24 whole
- 24 cherry cordials
- 1 jar Cherry jam
- 1/4 cup strongly brewed Door County Coffee Espresso Coffee
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 2 TBS butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 9 ozs milk chocolate, melted
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp meringue powder, optional
- Place cupcake papers in 2 (12 ct) cupcake wells. Slightly grease papers with cooking spray to prevent cake from sticking to papers. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large bowl add butter, sugar, eggs, sour cream, oil, syrup, water and vanilla. Mix well. In separate bowl add flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Mix well. Add to wet ingredients. Whisk until fully blended. Fold in cheddar cheese and 2 TBS ground chocolate covered espresso beans.
- Add approx. 2 TBS batter to each cupcake paper. Place a single cherry cordial in center of each paper. Top with additional batter covering 3/4 full. Bake for 11-13 mins, or until done. Cool.
- To make frosting: Add coffee, cheese, butter and vanilla. Whisk well. Add melted chocolate, mix well. Add sugar, mix well. Frosting should be stiff. Add meringue powder if needed.
- Add frosting to piping bag with favorite decorating tip and frost cupcakes.
- Warm cherry jam in microwave safe bowl in microwave for approx. 1 minute. Drizzle over top of frosted cupcakes. Place a chocolate covered espresso bean on top of each cupcake.