|Recipes » Dessert|
Black Magic Pecan Pie Filled Cupcakes with Butter Pecan Frosting
By: Donna - Howell, MI - 2016 Recipe Contest
"The brand new Door County Frosted Cinnamon Buns Coffee was a magical ingredient when I paired it with my other cupcake ingredients!"
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Cafe.
Featured ingredient: Frosted Cinnamon Buns Coffee 10 oz. Bag Ground
- 1 cup Door County Frosted Cinnamon Buns Coffee (Brewed)
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup Door County Frosted Cinnamon Buns Coffee (Brewed)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup corn syrup
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup roasted and salted chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Door County Frosted Cinnamon Buns Coffee (Brewed)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter (softened)
- 2 cups powdered sugar (sifted)
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (divided usage)
- 1-1/2 cup finely chopped roasted and salted pecans + 19 whole toasted or candied pecans for decorating (if desired)
To make the Frosted Cinnamon Buns Pecan Pie Chocolate Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 standard cupcake pans with 19 cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl whisk together 1 cup of room temperature brewed Door County Frosted Cinnamon Buns Coffee, canola oil and the unsweetened dark cocoa powder until smooth and creamy.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and sour cream with an electric mixer. Slowly add the Door County Frosted Cinnamon Buns Coffee/Cocoa mixture. Combine on medium speed until silky and smooth. Beat in the granulated sugar.
- Whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda and add that to the wet coffee/cocoa sugar mixture combining on low speed until just incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Fill baking prepared baking cups with batter and bake for about 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool completely before filling them.
- Combine 1/4 cup Door County Frosted Cinnamon Buns Coffee with 2 tablespoons cornstarch, whisk until smooth.
- Add the ½ cup of brown sugar, corn syrup, eggs, salt and the cornstarch mixture to a sauce pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, whisking consistently for about 5 minutes. It is important NOT to use too high of heat, or stop whisking, or you will need to use a mesh strainer to remove any clumps of cornstarch or eggs that will form in your cooked filling.
- Remove the filling from the heat and stir in 1 cup of roasted and salted pecans and the vanilla. Allow the filling mixture to cool down in the refrigerator or freezer until thickened.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt together 1/4 cup unsalted butter, heavy cream, and 1 cup of brown sugar. Bring to a boil and boil for one minute.
- Remove from the heat and pour into a medal bowl of a stand mixer and place bowl into the freezer to quickly cool. NOTE: If you don’t have a medal bowl or a stand mixer, you can substitute any freezable large bowl and use a hand mixer instead.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl whisk together the remaining 2 tablespoons of cup Door County Frosted Cinnamon Buns Coffee, 1 tablespoon vanilla, and the cinnamon. Next add the cooled butter/cream mixture that was in the freezer and add the remaining 1/2 cup room temperature unsalted butter, along with the 2 cups of powdered sugar to the bowl and whip this all together until well combined.
- Stir in ½ cup roasted and salted chopped pecans. If the frosting is not stiff enough to frost the cupcakes, place it in the refrigerator or freezer until it is—and then remove and whip it to a smooth consistency once again.
- Use either an apple corner, or a cupcake corer, to cut a piece of cake from the center of each cupcake for the filling to go into.
- Then fill each hole with the cooled pecan pie filling. Add the frosting and then sprinkle each cupcake with the remaining pecans.
- If desired, top each cupcake with 1 whole pecan.