|Recipes » Dessert|
Bananas Foster Trifle
By: Alana – Kleinburg, Ontario – 2014 Recipe Contest Submission
Bananas Foster all wrapped up into a trifle that you can prepare ahead. The flavors of strong brewed Door County Coffee, Rum and brown sugar envelop the bread and fruit in this twist on a favorite dessert!
This is a user-submitted recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Cafe.
Featured ingredient: Elite Espresso 10 oz. Bag Ground
- 1/2 brioche bread, stale
- 4 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. coffee liquor
- 3 Tbsp. dark rum
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 cup strawberries, washed, hulled and sliced
- 1 box instant banana pudding mix
- 2 C. milk
- 1 C. cool whip or whipping cream whipped
- 1 C. strong brewed Door County Coffee or Elite Espresso
1. Slice bread into slices that will fit your desired serving dish.
2. In a small saucepan or skillet, begin to melt sugar on high. Watch carefully so it does not burn. When it starts to melt, add alcohol, stir and simmer on medium for 1-2 minutes to burn off some alcohol.
3. Slice bananas crosswise and place into pan.
4. Cook for 4-5 minutes to soften bananas. Remove from burner to cool slightly.
5. With a fork, gently move bananas to a small dish. Add coffee to the syrup and stir.
6. Make pudding mix according to directions with milk, and fold in whipped topping. Set aside.
7. Begin dipping pieces of bread into coffee mixture, and place closely together to cover bottom of the serving dish.
8. Top this with some of the bananas, pudding, strawberries. Repeat as above until all ingredients are finished or you have filled your dish.
9. Reserve some bananas and strawberries for the top for decoration.
10. Refrigerate for 1-3 hours.