|Recipes » Dessert|
Almond Toffee Coffee 'n Date Peek-a-Boo Cookies
By: Barb - Appleton, WI - 2016 Recipe Contest
"These family favorites are a re-make of a cookie recipe from the 1960’s. I always felt they were healthier than most because they were made with oatmeal, almonds and dates. Of course my children asked what the “dark stuff” oozing out of the cookies was and I just told them to try my peek-a-boo cookies and let me know what they thought. They were curious and discovered they liked the date mixture in the cookie. My recent re-make of the cookie replaces water with brewed Door County Almond Toffee coffee in both the date mixture and batter. Great flavor!"
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Cafe.
Featured ingredient: Almond Toffee Coffee 10 oz. Bag Ground
- 1-1/2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pitted whole dates
- 3/4 cup brewed Door County Almond Toffee Coffee, cooled (divided use)
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped roasted whole almonds
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly spray 3 large shiny cookie sheets with cooking spray.
- In a small heavy saucepan, stir brown sugar and corn starch together. Add dates to saucepan and toss dates until coated. Stir in 1/2 cup of the brewed Door County Almond Toffee coffee.
- Place saucepan over medium-high heat; cook stirring often, until date mixture begins to bubble. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally until date mixture thickens-about 4 minutes. Transfer date mixture to a bowl. Set aside for later.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt together.
- In another medium bowl, beat butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar together for 3 minutes using an electric mixer on medium.
- Add egg, extract and remaining 1/4 cup Door County Almond Toffee coffee; beat until well blended. Add the flour mixture; beat on low until flour is no longer visible. Stir in oats and almonds until evenly distributed.
- Drop cookie dough by rounded teaspoons 2-1/2 inches apart on sprayed cookie sheets. Top each with a mounded 1/2-teaspoon date mixture then top date mixture with a level teaspoon of cookie dough (dough will not completely cover date mixture).
- Bake cookies one sheet at a time for 12 minutes or until cookies are golden. Remove from oven and transfer cookies to wire racks. Cool completely.