|Recipes » Breakfast|
Door County Sticky Toffee French Toast
By: Julie Beckwith - Crete, IL - 3rd Place Winner 2016
"I love Door County Coffee, especially the Heavenly Caramel Coffee which gave me the inspiration for my recipe." Yup, we agree - this french toast is a "heavenly" way to start the day!
This is a fan-submitted recipe. It was also tested in the kitchen of the Door County Coffee Cafe.
Featured ingredient: Heavenly Caramel Coffee Full-Pot Bag
- 1-1/2 cups strongly brewed Door County Heavenly Caramel Coffee (divided use)
- 1 cup maple-flavored syrup
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (divided use)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped and pitted Medjool dates
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans (divided use)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or pure vanilla extract)
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8-10 slices soft crust Italian or French bread (about 3/4 to 1-inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 cup freshly whipped cream
- 1 cup sliced strawberries (optional)
- Also needed: non-stick cooking spray
1. In a large saucepan, combine 1 cup of the Heavenly Caramel Coffee, maple syrup, brown sugar, 1/8 teaspoon of the salt, and butter. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Add dates and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until thickened and reduced, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1/4 cup of the chopped pecans and the vanilla. Keep warm.
2. Combine beaten eggs, remaining 1/2 cup Heavenly Caramel Coffee, sweetened condensed milk, cinnamon and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt in a shallow dish.
3. Heat a large non-stick griddle or skillet, lightly coated with non-stick cooking spray, over medium heat. Dip bread slices in the egg mixture, turning to coat both sides. Cook until golden brown, flipping once. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired, and serve with the warm syrup. Top with a dollop of the whipped cream and sprinkle with remaining chopped pecans. Garnish individual serving plates with sliced strawberries, optional.
Makes 4-5 servings