|Recipes » Breakfast|
Cuban Coffee Picadillo Chili Omelettes
By: Lori M. - Denton, TX - 2017 Recipe Contest Submission
" Door County brewed coffee really brings out the flavor of picadillo chili....perfect for filling omelettes, empanadas, tortillas, sandwiches or over hot cooked rice! I aDOOR it this way!"
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured ingredient: Colombian Coffee 10 oz. Bag Ground
- 2 cups brewed Door County Colombian Coffee
- 1 1/2 lbs. lean ground chuck
- 1 1/2 cups chopped white onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimento stuffed olives
- 2 (4 1/2 oz.) cans diced green chilies
- 1 tablespoon dark molasses
- 1 (14 1/2 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 6 plain 6" egg omelette for filling with picadillo
1. Brown the meat in a large Dutch oven, cook the beef over medium-high heat, about 4-5 minutes.
2. Remove contents from the Dutch oven and set aside. Reduce heat to medium low and add onions and saute until translucent, about 3 minutes.
3. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
4. Replace meat and add bay leaves, chili powder, cumin, nutmeg, pepper, allspice, salt, thyme, capers, olives, chilies, coffee, molasses, and tomatoes. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
5. Finish the picadillo chili by adding raisins and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
6. Place filling on half of each plain egg omelette and fold over to serve, (or serve picadillo in tortillas, sandwiches or over hot cooked rice if desired.)