Single Serve Cups
8/10 oz. Bags
5 lb Bags
Single Serve Coffee Gifts
Full-Pot Bag Gifts
Subscribe & Save
Savory Coffee-Onion Croissant Sandwiches
By: Candy Barnhart – Makawao, HI - 2014 Recipe Contest Submission
“An old favorite recipe here that I would love to share. It is special because it was created to include several of our favorite ingredients bound together with pleasing Door County Coffee.”
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured ingredient: Sumatra Coffee 10 oz. Bag Ground
- 6 Tbsp. canola oil
- 3 large yellow onions (12 ounces each), peeled and sliced 1/4" thick
- 1/2 C. hot brewed Door County Coffee Sumatra
- 1/4 C. granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 croissants, split lengthwise
- 1/3 C. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 C. shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 C. soft bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. dry Italian seasoning
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Add onions and saute, stirring often, until onions have golden brown color, about 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in coffee, sugar and salt.
- Lower heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has been absorbed, about 5-10 minutes.
- Set aside and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place croissant halves, cut side up, on a rimmed cookie sheet.
- In a medium mixing bowl, gently blend coffee-onion compote and cheeses.
- Divide evenly on top of croissant halves.
- In a small mixing bowl, gently toss butter, garlic, bread crumbs and seasoning.
- Evenly top each croissant half with crumb mix.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve hot or warm.