Rich Chocolate Coffee Mousse
By: Kaitlyn K. - Byron Center, MI - 2017 Recipe Contest Submission
"This recipe is special because you can put it in so many different things! A chocolate mousse cake, add it on top of hot chocolate for a nice coffee flavor, or just by itself!
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
- ½ tbsp Door County Intense Dark Ground Coffee, sifted
- 4 egg yolks
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 cup (8 oz) heavy whipping cream
- 1 pkg (6 oz) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
1. Beat egg yolks in a small bowl on high speed until thick and yellow lemon colored and then gradually beat in the sugar.
2. Heat 1 cup of whipping cream in a saucepan over medium heat. Once the heavy cream is hot, while stirring slowly, stream in at least half of the whipping cream into the egg yolk mixture.
3. Then pour that back into the saucepan with the hot heavy cream. Cook over low heat about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
4. Stir in chocolate chips and sifted coffee granules until the chocolate is melted.
5. Cover and refrigerate or put in freezer for at least 2 hours stirring occasionally.