Pumpkin Spice Doughnuts & Almond Meringue Crumble
By: Maria - San Ramon, CA - Recipe Contest 2015
I love waking up in the mornings to freshly brewed coffee and a warm doughnut! How about combining both the flavors into one bite? Door County Cinnamon Hazelnut Coffee and Pumpkin Spice team up to make a breakfast treat to capture all the fall flavors!
This is a user-submitted recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Cafe.
Featured ingredient: Cinnamon Hazelnut Coffee 10 oz. Bag Ground
Almond Meringue Crumble:
- 2 large egg whites
- 4 teaspoons brewed Door County Coffee Cinnamon Hazelnut, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 eggs , separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup brewed Door County Coffee Cinnamon Hazelnut, room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
Almond Meringue Crumble:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat egg whites until foamy with a hand held beater.
- Add sugar and coffee, continue beating until thick.
- Stir sliced almonds.
- Spread meringue mixture into a even 8-inch circle on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place in oven and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Crush into small pieces.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease 2 doughnut pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add butter and 1/2 cup sugar to a large bowl , Beat with a hand mixer until smooth ( 1 minute).
- Add 3 egg yolks, vanilla extract and pumpkin puree, beat until well mixed.
- Add half the flour mixture and beat until just mixed.
- Beat in coffee and then the remaining flour.
- Beat until just mixed (over mixing will make doughnuts tough).
- Wash and dry beaters.
- Beat 3 egg whites and 2 tablespoons sugar in a separate bowl until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold into the the batter with a rubber spatula.
- Spoon batter into a resealable plastic bag.
- Cut off a corner and pipe batter evenly into the doughnut pan.
- Place in oven and bake for 12-13 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Remove doughnuts from the pan after 5 minutes onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- Whisk all glaze ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Dip each doughnut into the glaze and place on a wire rack, so excess glaze can drip off.
- Sprinkle almond meringue crumble.
- Serve after glaze sets.