Peanut Crunch Carrot Cake with Coffee-Infused Caramel Frosting
By: Joanne M. - Dothan, AL - 2017 Recipe Contest Submission
"Living in the Peanut Capital of the World, your Peanut Butter Crunch Coffee intrigued me. This coffee is so delicious I just had to incorporate it in my carrot cake recipe with a unique twist. The perfect combination of coffee, peanut butter, caramel, carrots and mixed nuts make for a sensational carrot cake. This cake will be a show stopped at any gathering with a fresh brewed pot of Door County Coffee."
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured ingredient: Peanut Butter Crunch Coffee 10 oz. Ground
Coffee Roasted Nuts:
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups salted mixed nuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup honey roasted peanuts
- 1 box Carrot Cake mix
- 1 cup hot Door County Peanut Butter Crunch coffee, reserve 2 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple, well drained
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup carrot juice
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted, cooled
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 12 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 (15 oz) can Dulce de Leche
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 to 5 cups powdered sugar
Coffee Roasted Nuts:
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with foil.
- In a large sauce pan melt butter oven medium heat, add both sugars, garam masala and cinnamo. Stir constantly until sugars are dissolved.
- Remove from heat and stir in nuts and peanuts until well coated. Spread coated nuts over prepared baking sheet, then evenly sprinkle coffee grounds over nuts.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring after 4 minutes. Allow to cool completely,
- Grease and flour two 8 inch round cake pans.
- Stir together the 1 cup of hot Door County Peanut Butter Crunch coffee, bourbon, butter, shredded carrots, raisins, and pineapple. Let refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Beat eggs for 3 minutes. Add buttermilk, orange and carrot juices and oil in large bowl, beat additional 1 minute.
- Add cake mix and brown sugar, mix well. Fold in coffee carrot raisin mixture and 1/4 cup nuts.
- Evenly divide batter into prepared cake pans. Bake for 17 to 20 minutes or until done. Cool in cake pans for 5 minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool completely,
- Beat cream cheese and butter for 3 minutes. Add dulce de leche, peanut butter and reserved coffee, mix well. Gradually beat in sugar until smooth.
- Place one cake layer on serving plate, spread top with 3/4 cup frosting.
- Top with remaining cake and frost top and sides of cake.
- Press 1/2 cup nuts around the base of the cake. Then evenly sprinkle remaining nuts on top of cake around the edge and center.