Mocha Pop Rocks Donut Holes
By: Ben M. - San Francisco, CA - 2017 Recipe Contest Submission
"What's better than coffee with donuts? Coffee AND donuts, combined! These traditional chocolate donut holes are infused, and glazed with strong brewed coffee, and sprinkled with crunchy Pop Rocks. The rich coffee flavors and fizzy Pop Rocks create a surprisingly delicious eating experience that's guaranteed to wake your taste buds up with a bang!"
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Cafe.
Featured ingredient: Black and Tan Coffee 10 oz. Bag Ground
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp finely ground coffee
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp butter, room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Canola oil, for frying
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp strong brewed, Door County Blank and Tan Coffee
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 (.33 oz.) packages of cherry Pop-Rocks
1. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, ground coffee, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together the sugar, butter, and egg yolks on high speed until well blended, about 2 minutes.
3. Stop the mixer, and add the sour cream and vanilla extract. Mix on medium speed for another 2 minutes, or until completely mixed.
4. With the mixer on low speed, slowly spoon in the dry ingredient blend until just barely incorporated. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour, until slightly firmed.
5. Divide dough into 2 even pieces. Roll first piece of dough to 1/2 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut into about 24 evenly sized pieces, then roll each piece into a ball, adding more flour as needed. Set aside, and repeat with remaining dough.
6. Pour 3-4 inches of canola oil into a heavy bottomed pot. Heat oil to between 325ºF-350ºF, making sure to maintain this temperature throughout frying (a thermometer is important here).
7. Drop balls of dough into heated oil in small batches. Let cook for about 3 minutes total, flipping occasionally, until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon, and transfer to a towel lined plate. Let cool slightly.
8. Meanwhile, mix together the powdered sugar, brewed coffee, and vanilla extract in a large bowl. Once the donuts have slightly cooled, dip into glaze, and place on a wire cooling rack.
9. Working in batches, quickly sprinkle donuts with Pop Rocks before the glaze sets. Repeat until finished.