Mocha Peanut Butter Four Layer Chocolate Cake
By: Linda Bonwill - Englewood, FL - 2nd Place Winner 2016
"I was excited to create this cake. Everyone knows that chocolate pairs well with peanut butter. When I received my bag of Door County Peanut Butter Coffee, I just knew I had to put all these ingredients together, in a cake. For this recipe I made homemade peanut butter cups. You can use the store ones if you choose. This cake will rock your world!!!"
This is a fan-submitted recipe. It was also tested in the kitchen of the Door County Coffee Cafe.
Featured ingredient: Peanut Butter Crunch Coffee Full-Pot Bag
Chocolate Cake Ingredients:
- 2 cups flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup mayo
- 1 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/3 cup peanut butter crunch coffee, strong (or favorite coffee flavor)
- 12 oz peanut butter chips, melted
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 TBS butter, softened
- 1 cup half and half, warm
- 4 tsp vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar (approx)
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips, melted
- 1 TBS strong peanut butter crunch coffee
- 2 TBS half and half, warm
- Directions for cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans.
- Mix dry ingredients in bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients together. Add dry ingredients to wet and mix well. Divide 1/2 of the batter into one round pan. Add remaining batter in second round pan. Bake approx 25-30 mins. Or until done. Remove from oven and cool. Remove from pan. Slice each round cake in half making four rounds.
- Peanut Butter Frosting: Melt chips in microwave in safe bowl for approx 1 minute. Stir. Add to mixing bowl with all other ingredients. Whisk well.
- Add frosting to top of one round. Spread evenly across cake. Add another cake round to top of frosted cake. Repeat process with other cake rounds. Note: Each layer should have frosting between. Frost top of cake and sides. Spread evenly and make it smooth. Chill cake for approx. 30 minutes. Add a second layer on top and sides of cake. Spread to make smooth. Reserve approx. 1/2 cup of frosting for piping design around bottom of cake. (optional)
- Coffee Glaze: Melt chocolate in microwave for 30 mins. Stir. Stir in coffee and warm half and half. Pour glaze over top of cake allowing it to drool over the sides.
- Place cut pieces of peanut butter cups in center of cake. Let sit for 30 mins before serving.