Single Serve Cups
8/10 oz. Bags
5 lb Bags
Single Serve Coffee Gifts
Full-Pot Bag Gifts
Subscribe & Save
Java-Q Tri-Tip Steak
By: Suzanne - Basking Ridge, NJ - 2016 Recipe Contest
From the cut to the sauce, this grilled steak recipe will be the talk of your cookout! With our 100% Colombian in both the rub & the sauce, plus a touch of Chopped Cherry Jam added in, this is a true Door County dish!
Featured ingredient: Colombian Coffee 10 oz. Bag Wholebean
- 1 tablespoon finely ground Door County Colombian Coffee
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar (divided use)
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 tri-tip steak (2 1/2 - 3 pounds)
- 1/2 cup strong-brewed Door County Colombian coffee
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons Chopped Cherry Jam
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon concentrated tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile puree (from canned chipotles in adobo sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (Plus more for seasonin when grilling the steak)
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- For the rub whisk together ground coffee, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic powder, sweet paprika, and mustard powder. Rub it into the tri-tip: cover both sides and the edges. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour up to overnight.
- To make Java-Q Sauce, in a small saucepan whisk together brewed coffee, ketchup, cherry jam, remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, chile puree, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and garlic. Bring to a boil; then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove 1/4 cup to use for basting the meat.
- Heat grill to medium-hot. Pat meat dry and sprinkle generously with salt. Grill for about 8 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- Brush each side of the steak with reserved sauce the last minute of cooking. Let meat rest for 10 minutes before slicing. To serve slice against the grain and drizzle with Java-Q sauce.