Heavenly Caramel Coffee Cheesecake
By: Donna - Hamilton, NJ - 2016 Recipe Contest
"I like a creamy rich cheesecake, so I add the 2 egg yolks and the sour cream. In this case I used brown sugar to complement the caramel flavors of the coffee."
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Cafe.
Featured ingredient: Heavenly Caramel Coffee 10 oz. Bag Ground
- 2 cups cookie crumbs (like Pecan Sandies or Bordeaux)
- 5 tablespoons melted salted butter
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 32 ounces Cream Cheese (4 packages) at room temperature
- 1-1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 Tablespoon extra strong Door County Heavenly Caramel Coffee
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup sour cream
- Caramel topping
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup Door County Heavenly Caramel Coffee
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Pinch of salt
- Toffee Candy
- Preheat oven to 350º (or 325) F. Wrap 3 layers of foil around the outside of the bottom of a 9-inch spring form pan.
- In a blender or food processor pulse the crust ingredients together until combined. Press into the bottom of the spring form pan and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325ºF.
- Beat the cream cheese on low speed until no lumps remain. Add in the brown sugar and salt; continue mixing on low until the ingredients are incorporated. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Add in the eggs and yolks one at a time beating after each addition until fully incorporated. Continue scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Add the coffee, vanilla, and sour cream.
- Pour the filling into the pan and place it into a large roasting pan. Place the pan into the oven and quickly pour hot water into the roasting pan so that it comes up about 1 inch up the foil-wrapped spring form pan.
- Bake for 55–70 minutes or until the cheesecake is set on the sides and just jiggles a bit in the center when the pan is shaken. Remove the cheesecake from the water bath and place back in the warm oven. Turn the oven off and crack the oven door. Leave the cheesecake in the oven for 1 hour.
- Make the filling by combining the sugar and Door County Heavenly Caramel Coffee. Stir over heat until it dissolves. Increase heat; boil without stirring until mixture turns deep amber, occasionally swirling pan and brushing down sides with wet pastry brush. Add cream (mixture will bubble).
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until reduced to 1 1/4 cups, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Chill until thickened but still pourable.
- Remove the cheesecake from the oven and run a thin knife along the edge of the pan. Let the cheesecake continue to cool to room temperature. Place in the refrigerator for several hours to chill completely.
- Spoon caramel over top of cake just to edges (do not allow caramel to drip down sides). Garnish top edges with chopped English toffee. Chill at least 2 hours and up to 6 hours.