Single Serve Cups
8/10 oz. Bags
5 lb Bags
Single Serve Coffee Gifts
Full-Pot Bag Gifts
Subscribe & Save
Hazelnut Mocha Mud Pie (Gluten Free)
By: Suzanne - Basking Ridge, NJ - 2016 Recipe Contest
"My husband named this dessert after his first bite. It’s like a combination of a rich and chewy brownie with a lush hazelnut coffee pudding. This is the kind of comfort food that makes a bad day seem just a little brighter. Note that the large amount of vanilla extract is not a mistake – gluten free flours require a lot more flavoring agents."
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Cafe.
Featured ingredient: Hazelnut Creme Coffee 10 oz. Bag Ground
- 1 cup gluten-free baking mix (or equal amount all-purpose wheat flour plus 1 additional teaspoon baking powder)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 10 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (divided use)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract (divided use)
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted hazelnuts (divided use)
- 1 1/4 cup hot strong-brewed Door County Hazelnut Creme Coffee
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 18 dark chocolate-covered espresso beans
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Grease a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate.
- In small bowl, whisk together baking mix, suga,r 6 tablespoons cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl whisk together milk, melted butter, and 1 tablespoon vanilla. Mix flour mixture and milk mixture together; stir until well blended. Pour into pie plate and sprinkle with 3 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts.
- Whisk together the hazelnut creme coffee the remaining 4 tablespoons cocoa and the brown sugar; pour over the batter – do not stir in.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 45-50 minutes or until sides and top are firm with some jiggle remaining in the center. Cool for at least 20 minutes if serving warm or for about 2 hours if serving at room temperature.
- In a medium chilled bowl, beat cream with confectioners’ sugar and remaining 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Serve mud pie with a dollop of cream a sprinkling of the remaining chopped hazelnuts and some chocolate- covered coffee beans.