Single Serve Cups
8/10 oz. Bags
5 lb Bags
Gifts Under $25
Full-Pot Bag Gifts
Subscribe & Save
Dark Chocolate Espresso Torte
By: Amy - Avon Park, FL - 2016 Recipe Contest
"A local caterer asked me to create a special dessert for a private Valentine's Day dinner at a local brewery. This is what I came up with. We served it over a drizzle of strawberry coulis."
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Cafe.
- 1/3 c. water
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 stick butter, cubed
- 1-12 oz bag bittersweet chocolate chips (Ghirardelli)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 c. cold coffee (made from Elite Espresso Fine Grind)
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 3/4 c. bittersweet chocolate chips
- Bring water and sugar to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat. Add butter, chocolate chips, and salt. Let sit for 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Whisk in coffee and almond extract.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs until completely combined. Whisk in chocolate mixture. Pour batter into a 9 x 2″ round cake pan that has its bottom lined with parchment and totally sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place cake pan in a large roasting pan. Fill the roasting pan half way with warm water.
- Bake torte in the roasting pan at 325 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until solid and slightly puffed. Remove pan from water and allow to cool for an hour. Remove torte from pan.
- Invert onto cake plate and remove parchment paper. Cool completely before serving.
- Before serving, make ganache, by heating cream in microwave until boiling–1-2 minutes.
- Add chocolate chips and let sit for 2 minutes to melt. Stir until smooth. Spread ganache over top of torte and let it drip down the sides. Top with sliced almonds and a strawberry fan.