Creole-Inspired Coffee-Glazed Chicken & Rice
By: Shannon K. - Simpsonville, SC - 2017 Recipe Contest Submission
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured ingredient: Private Reserve Coffee 10 oz. Bag Ground
- 1 and 1/3 cups brewed Door County Private Reserve Coffee, divided
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 and 1/3 cups chicken broth, divided
- 3 Tablespoons cayenne pepper sauce, divided
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 cups instant rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup tomato, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup scallions, thinly sliced and divided
- Non-stick cooking spray
1. In medium bowl, combine 1 cup chicken broth, 2/3 cup coffee, 1 Tablespoon cayenne sauce, cornstarch and brown sugar. Reserve for glaze.
2. Spray medium-large saucepan with non-stick spray and preheat to medium.
3. Add onion and both peppers to pan.
4. Cook over medium heat, stirring regularly, for 5-7 minutes.
5. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
6. Add remaining chicken broth, coffee and cayenne sauce to saucepan and bring to boil.
7. Remove from heat and stir in rice.
8. Cover and set aside until all liquid is absorbed.
9. Fluff rice before serving.
10. Spray large, non-stick skillet with cooking spray and preheat to medium.
11. Season chicken pieces evenly with salt and pepper, add to skillet, and cook 4-6 minutes, stirring regularly, until lightly browned and just cooked through.
12. Add tomatoes and reserved glaze mixture to skillet.
13. Stir well and cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, to combine flavors, soften tomatoes, and thicken sauce.
14. To serve, place equal amounts of rice mixture into each of 4 serving bowls.
15. Top each serving with an equal amount of chicken/tomato mixture and spoon over with sauce.
16. Garnish each serving with 1 Tablespoon of scallions. Makes 4 servings.