Country Coffee Caramel Bars
By: Lori - Garrettsville, OH - 2016 Recipe Contest
"Coffee, Caramel, Bacon, Pecans & Vanilla Bean Shortbread! All of my favorite ingredients in one yummy dessert, perfect to go with your morning coffee. So delicious, the gooey caramel complements the rich notes of the coffee. This stuff is so good to share with friends but don't forget to put some aside for yourself. Also the bars freezes well, so you can keep them on hand all the time."
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Cafe.
Featured ingredient: Country Morning Blend Coffee 10 oz Bag Wholebean
Vanilla Bean Shortbread Crust:
- 2/3 cup of Powdered Sugar
- ½ cups Butter softened
- 3 Tbsp Whipping Cream
- 1 cup flour
- ½ of a vanilla bean (scraped)
- 2 ½ cups of caramels pieces
- 1 ½ cups pecans chopped
- ½ cup Door County Coffee Country Morning Blend whole bean chopped or very coarse ground
- 6 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp butter
- ¾ cup of milk chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 2 tbsp strong brewed coffee Door County Coffee Country Morning Blend
- Cook about 5 pieces of bacon till crispy
- After cooling completely crumble
- Mix all ingredients for the Vanilla Bean Shortbread Crust ( 2/3 cup of Powdered Sugar, ½ cup Butter softened, 3 Tbsp heavy Whipping Cream, 1 cup flour, ½ vanilla bean ) with fork till blended into a light dough. Place in fridge for 10 min in a ball wrapped in plastic wrap.
- In a 9x9 greased pan, press the vanilla bean shortbread into the pan, evenly. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 to 20 min till golden brown. While that is baking, prep and get ready to move on to the next steps.
- Cook about 5 pieces of bacon till crispy. After cooling completely crumble and set aside.
- After the crust is removed from the oven, let rest while you start the caramel filling.
- Combine the carmels and heavy whipping cream together in a small pan on medium low heat, stir constantly. Once melted completely blend in the chops nuts and coarse ground/chopped coffee beans. Immediately pour on top of the crust and spread out evenly.
- On low heat mix the chocolate topping ingredients (1 tsp butter, ¾ cup of milk chocolate chips 2 tablespoons whipping cream, 2 tbsp strong brewed Door County Coffee Country Morning Blend) till smooth and blended. Then pour onto the caramel mixture.
- Sprinkle the bacon crumble on top of the chocolate mixture.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 2 hrs before serving. Cut into small rectangle shapes and enjoy!