Full Pot Bags
Single Serve Cups
8/10 oz. Bags
5 lb Bags
Full-Pot Bag Gifts
Subscribe & Save
Coffee Onion Salad with Coffee Vinaigrette
By: Candy Barnhart – Makawao, HI - 2014 Recipe Contest Submission
“I like to create recipes using special ingredients that I love. Your Sumatra coffee inspired me to create this recipe to showcase it."
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured ingredient: Sumatra Coffee 10 oz. Bag Ground
- 1/4 C. mild balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 C. finely ground Door County Coffee Sumatra
- (if using ground style, grind again to make finer than as packaged)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 C. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. mild oil (such as canola)
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled and sliced 1/4" thick
- 1/4 C. hot brewed Door County Sumatra Coffee
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 8 C. lightly packed Spring mix
- 1 C. French or sourdough croutons
- 1 (5 oz.) package mild goat cheese, chilled & broken into small pieces
- Blend vinegar, coffee and salt in a food processor.
- Slowly add olive oil while processor is running so an emulsion is formed.
- Let stand 1 hour, then strain well. Set aside.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat until hot but not smoking.
- Add onions and cook, stirring often, until onions are tender and caramel color, about 15 minutes.
- Add coffee and salt.
- Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated (about 8 minutes).
- At time of service, place onions, spring mix and croutons in a large mixing bowl & toss gently to combine.
- Divide evenly on 8 serving plates.
- Sprinkle evenly with goat cheese & drizzle dressing as desired over each. Any remaining dressing may be placed in a small pitcher and set on table for use if wished.