Chocolate Crepe Cake with Vanilla Cappuccino Custard
By: Hidemi - Plainfield, IN - 2016 Recipe Contest
"My special desert which means I make this only for a special occasion because it is a kind of hard work for me yet worth while making but it is fun to make actually. I have made different kinds of crepe cake. For this contest, I created this recipe because I believed my favorite vanilla cappuccino coffee would be perfect for the custard cream since I have made coffee custard adding coffee before. For coffee custard, I made chocolate flavored crepes. As another option, when you serve it, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar over the crepe cake instead of cocoa. That would be great too."
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Cafe.
Featured ingredient: Vanilla Cappuccino Coffee 10 oz. Bag Ground
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons Unsweetened baking cocoa plus more for finishing
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted butter (melted)
- 4 tablespoons Granulated sugar
- 1 and 3/4 cups Milk (room temperature)
- 1 cup Brewed Door County Vanilla Cappuccino Coffee
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/2 cup Granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons All-purpose flour
- no-stick cooking spray
- Pour 1 cup of all-purpose flour and cocoa together into a bowl.
- In a large bowl, beat 2 eggs, add melted butter, 1 and 3/4 cups of milk and 4 tablespoons of granulated sugar to the bowl and whisk well.
- Add the dry mixture to the bowl and mix to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate the crepe batter for at least 2 hours (up to overnight).
- In the meantime, make vanilla cappuccino custard. Put coffee and 3/4 cup of milk into a saucepan and warm it up.
- In a bowl, beat 2 eggs then add 1/2 cup of granulated sugar and 4 tablespoons of all-purpose flour. Whisk to combine. Whisk in the coffee mixture little by little whisking constantly until well blended
- Transfer the mixture into another saucepan. Turn on the heat to medium-low and cook whisking constantly until thickened (about 20 minutes).
- Make crepes, take the crepe batter bowl out of the refrigerator. Heat 10-11-inch crepe pan (or frying pan) over medium heat. Spray no-stick cooking spray, then put 2 ounce of the crepe batter into the center of the pan and tilt the pan to spread the batter.
- Cook both sides of crepe and lays it out flat on a large plate to let it cool, Repeat this until the crepe batter is gone (10 crepes should be made) Let all crepes cool.
- When the crepes and custard have cooled, make crepe cake. Place one crepe on a plate. Spread the custard, put the other crepe on and spread custard.
- Repeat this until all crepes and custard are gone. Cover the crepe cake with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until set. When it is ready to serve, sprinkle cocoa over the crepe cake.