Chipotle Cherry Coffee Chicken Drumettes
By: Teresa C. - Stephenville, TX - 2017 Recipe Contest Submission
"The sweetness and tartness of actual cherries and the spiciness of chipotle provided a wonderful match for the coffee. The other ingredients similarly suggested themselves. The end result is delicious and unique."
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured ingredient: Cherry Creme Coffee 10 oz. Bag Ground
- 2 cups brewed Door County Cherry Crème Coffee
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 chipotle peppers
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked sea salt
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro, divided
- 2 pounds chicken drumettes
- 1 cup sliced cucumbers
1. Preheat an oven to 425°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place the cherries and orange juice in a small bowl. Set aside.
3. Place the coffee, garlic, onion, peppers, adobo sauce, honey, cumin, sea salt, Worcestershire sauce, and half the cilantro in a blender. Blend until fairly smooth (no large chunks remaining).
4. Place the chicken drumettes in a large bowl. Pour the marinade over them. Toss to coat.
5. Arrange the chicken wings in a single layer on the baking sheet. Reserve the marinade. Bake the wings 20 minutes.
6. While the wings are baking, pour the cherries and orange juice into a blender. Blend until smooth. Place the cherries and the reserved marinade in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil until the mixture is reduced and thickened.
7. Remove the wings from the oven and brush with half the sauce. Toss to coat well. Return the tray to the oven and cook an additional 5 to 10 minutes or until glazed and cooked through. Toss the cooked wings to coat well.
8. Sprinkle the wings with the remaining cilantro. Serve with the cucumbers and the reserved sauce.