Breakfast Petite Coffee Popovers With Rich Coffee Drizzle
By: Ronna F. - Rockville, MD - 2017 Recipe Contest Submission
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured ingredient: Breakfast Blend Coffee 10 oz. Bag Ground
- 1 cup brewed Door Country Breakfast Blend Coffee, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salted butter, melted, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 3 strips applewood bacon cut in half
- 2 medium apples, pared, cored and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces thinly sliced Swiss cheese, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 6 poached eggs, cooked to desired doneness
1. In a blender or food processor, blend 1 tablespoon melted butter, egg, 1/4 cup coffee and milk until combined. Then add flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt; blend until frothy and bubbly. Leave mixture in blender for 15 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 450°F, with rack on lower middle position.
3. Place small popover tin or muffin pan (6-count) in oven for 2 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately divide 1/2 tablespoon melted butter between the cups. Quickly blend the batter once more to froth it up again and distribute evenly into each cup.
4. Bake popovers for 10 minutes. Without opening oven, reduce heat to 350°F. Continue baking 10 more minutes until golden brown, puffed up and feel dry and hollow. Turn popovers out onto cooling rack. Quickly pierce bottoms with small knife to allow steam to escape.
5. In a 1 quart saucepan, combine the remaining 3/4 cup coffee, beef broth, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and molasses. Allow to come to a boil over medium-high heat. In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and cold water. Whisk into gravy mixture. Cook and stir until thickened. Set aside.
6. Cook bacon in a 9-inch skillet over medium heat until desired doneness is reached. Remove bacon and set on a small plate. Add apple slices to the bacon grease. Cook apples over medium heat, turning several times, until softened and lightly browned. Remove from heat.
7. To assemble, slice each popover across the center. Top each popover bottom with cheese slices followed by the spinach, cooked apple slices, poached eggs and bacon. Cover with a popover top. Drizzle each with the coffee gravy. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 Breakfast Popovers