Almond Toffee Coffee Brownie Brittle
By: Jackie M. - The Villages, FL - 2017 Recipe Contest Submission
"The coffee flavors come alive in these delicious brownie brittle bites!"
This is a Door County Coffee Fan recipe. It was not made in the kitchens of the Door County Coffee Café.
Featured ingredient: Almond Toffee Coffee 10 oz. Bag Ground
- 1 cup strong brewed Door County Heavenly Caramel coffee, divided. (I only use 4 ounces of water when brewing this cup. You will need 2 tablespoons for the brittle and about 1 tablespoon for the icing but you can drink the rest while the brittle is baking)
- 1 single serve cup Door County Almond Toffee coffee (do not brew)
- 3/4 cup flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 ¼ cup bittersweet chocolate chips (or semisweet if you prefer), divide
- 3 Tbsp. special dark cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- ½ cup Sliced almonds
- ¼ cup Toffee candy bits or Cinnamon Chips
- 1 cup Confectioners sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Prepare 2 cookie sheets by lining with silicone non-stick baking mats (preferred) or line with parchment paper. If using parchment paper to help it from moving dab a little butter in the 4 corners of each sheet and then flip it over on the pan and pat down to “seal” it on the pan.
2. Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
3. Melt butter and 1 cup of chocolate chips in a large saucepan or microwaveable bowl. *See Note*
4. Stirring well after each addition stir in the Door County Almond Toffee Coffee (yes, just the coffee right from the single serve container), cocoa powder, all the sugar, egg whites, almond extract, and 2 tablespoons of the brewed Door County Heavenly Caramel coffee.
5. Stir flour mixture about a third at the time into chocolate and butter mixture until completely combined.
6. Divide the batter between the two prepared cookie sheets, pouring half onto one sheet and half onto the other. Use a spatula to spread the batter evenly to about 9 inches by 14 inches.
7. Sprinkle each half with the remaining chocolate chips, toffee or cinnamon chips, and sliced almonds. Bake 1 sheet at the time on the middle rack for about 15 - 17 minutes.
8. Remove from oven and while hot use a small knife to score squares into the brownie brittle, getting about 32 pieces per pan.
9. Allow the brittle to sit until cool then break brittle along the scored lines that you made with knife. Set pieces on grid rack sitting inside a drip pan.
10. In a small bowl mix the confectioners sugar with the Door County Heavenly Caramel using only a tablespoon at first until you have the desired thin icing. Use a spoon to drizzle icing over brownie brittle pieces. Allow the icing to set and harden before serving.
My preferred method is to put the chips and butter in a large saucepan and set it inside a small skillet of hot water. Just keep stirring until chocolate and butter are melted and almost combined. Then remove saucepan from the skillet and stir until both are well combined. Or you can microwave for about 30 seconds in a microwaveable bowl and stir. Then return to the microwave for a few seconds and continue to stop and stir until well combined.